South Korea Tour 2009


It's a dream come true! To experience winter at least once in my life (because I live in a tropical county and we only have two seasons here in the Philippines, rainy and sunny) and this year, I did! I included a ski trip to South Korea in my 2009 wish list and I'm so happy that at least one of them came true! God is really really good!!! So good that the first thing I thought of in my mind upon coming out of the airport in Korea is "Thank You Lord!".

I spent two whole weeks in South Korea. The first five days is part of a tour group and the next nine days were on our own. I'll be writing about my tour on this post and our adventures and "misadventures" on my next post. There were good and not-so-good experiences but since there are very few not-so-good ones, I can easily forget about them and keep all the very very nice memories I had in this trip. ^_^

1st day, we arrived at Incheon airport past 5AM. Thank God we got to the meeting place before our tour guide decided to leave me and my friend behind. First stop is breakfast in a nearby shop in Incheon. Udong for breakfast, it's similar to the Japanese noodle soup Udon w/ thick noodles. At our very first meal, since there's just me and my friend who joined the tour, we got to sit with two more pairs (two female friends and a father and son pair) and started to call our group of 6 as "Family". ^_^

After breakfast, we travelled more than a couple of hours to Nami Island, the shooting place of the ever popular Korean drama "Winter Sonata". The drama was so popular that it shot the two leading actors, Bae Yong Jun and Choi Ji Woo to stardom. They are treated like royalty in Japan and the fans even added honorary titles to their names as a sign of their love for them, Yonsama (BYJ) and JiWoo-hime (CJW).

Just seeing the beautiful rows of trees I've seen in the drama, and being there in the same season too, just puts me in a dreamy state. I've finally made it here! ^^ It was really cold, so it's a good thing that they put up lot's of places to keep you warm. For lunch, we had barbequed spicy chicken (Dak Galbi). Since the place is not in the city yet, their taste is more localized. We tried Dak Galbi around Seoul and it's really tasty and delicious, but the ones we had the first time lacks a bit in taste.

Time to move to the ski resort for check in. But before we arrive to the hotel, we stop by to get our ski suit, then came the highlight of my day, it's snowing!!! My very first time to experience snow fall and I love it!!! After we got our suits, we went straight for dinner. We had Mushroom Steamboat (hot pot). The tour guide understands that we are used to a variety of tastes so they added dumplings (mandu) and some fish balls into our hot pot. Still a bit short on taste but good enough for me because I love mushrooms and dumplings (I'm chinese after all! =).

2nd day, Ski day!!! And my most awaited day started with a wonderful snowing day!!! Sadly, this is the last time we experienced snow fall in our whole two weeks in Korea. It didn't snow in Seoul even though it's really cold. Gear up and it's time to ski! The ski equipments are soooo heavy. I'm barely 5'1" and I have to walk with a really heavy ski boots and carry around taller-than-me ski plates and poles. We have ski lessons for about 20 minutes, ski test runs for about 5 minutes and on our own to play for about 15 minutes and I'm done. I can try skiing some other time but not that day, my body is aching and just won't cooperate. =S But I'm still happy that I got to experience it. ^^

Lunch at another barbeque restaurant but this time it's Ondol style where we sit on the floor to eat. Next is the strawberry farm. Love the strawberries! They're big and red and so so sweet. We get to pick some and eat them on the spot. They said it's organic so it's safe to eat directly. Then to Coex Aquarium. It's just like most of the aquariums you see around the world where they have underwater sharks swimming above you, etc. Something different is probably the two headed turtle they have there and the very cute penguins playing around. ^^

After a number of bland meals, we had a full meal this time at Tony Roma's. Western Style food, we missed that! Ribs and chicken to our hearts' content.^^

3rd day, Everland day! We spent the whole day at Everland. I tried the ever popular "silk worm" that Jun Pyo loved so much in BBF, lol! XD It' actually fish balls shaped like intestines. The rides looks fun but there's only two of us, both of us unsure, lol! XD Before, I would've probably go for it, but I'm not so young anymore and I'm afraid that my heart might stop when I'm too far away from home (excuses?! lol!). Again, regrets... but who knows, I'll be able to go back there with somebody to protect me by my side right?! =P

We had another barbeque for dinner. Now I know why Koreans are healthy, their food are grilled all the time, no oil at all! Grilled pork in lettuce wrap (Samgyupsal). Love it! ^^ Then shopping at Dongdaemun. The place is a shopping haven for big shoppers. Lot's of things to buy.

4th day, to the Amethyst Factory. Didn't know that amethyst can be so expensive. I bought a cellphone chain just for remembrance. =) After that, we proceed to the Ginseng outlet then off to our Seoul City tour. Went to see Cheong Gye Cheon Stream (the place where Marco proposed to Son Dambi in "We Got Married"), the Blue House, lunch at a very nice restaurant with barbequed meat and mushrooms and then to Chongbuk Palace. After that, proceed to Myeongdong (another shopping haven for shoppers) for more shopping, then to the Kimchi Factory to experience Kimchi making and Hanbok wearing. It's fun!!! I feel like Goo Jun Pyo (BBF) when Jan Di's family is making the Kimchi at home. (sorry for all the drama related notes, because I'm a drama fan and I can't help but relate everything to my favorite dramas XD )

For dinner, we had the dish that I've been waiting to try (bec. I've look all over the Korean Restaurants here in our country but can't find any that serves it), Samgyetang or Ginseng Chicken Soup. Ginseng sure is not for everybody because it has this unique taste. I love the chicken soup. I really can live in Korea, I love all their food!!! ^_^

5th day, is Seoul Tower. It's our last day of the tour and I'm feeling kinda sad because we get to spend 4 days with really nice people in the tour and it's time to go our separate ways. Seoul Tower is in Namsan park, we took the cable car to go up the tower. They have a teddy bear museum there but we didnt' go in, just took pictures outside. ^^ We took pictures at the popular lover's locks lane. This is the place where lovers write something for each other and put their locks together then throw away the keys. It symbolizes that they will always be together and nothing can keep them apart.

Lunch at a buffet restaurant, with really good food. Finally got to taste bulgogi, japchae, the really soft Korean tofu dish, and many others.

Last minute shopping at the Duty Free Shop and Itaewon. At Itaewon, it's time for us to leave. We looked at the photos taken by our photographer, such nice memories. Our very nice tour guide help us call a cab to bring us to the guest house we will be staying for the rest of our days in Seoul.

I love the tour, I love the people, and I would love to go back to South Korea... ^_^

Comments

  1. anyong! i really find ur posts informative. m planning to go to korea this october. just an inquiry, what travel agency did u get the package tour from? and how much did it cost per person? thanks!
    p.s. do u think there are places where there's snow all yr round? hehe. i understand oct's not winter yet but i do want to see snow =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i've tried rakso and travelplus for the package tours bec. different agencies offer different packages... choose one that best fits your needs... the cost is more or less P50K.

    i'm not sure if there's a place in korea that snows all year round coz i think ski resorts turns into golf courses in spring to autumn... if you want snow, maybe you can move your oct trip another month, it starts to snow in november... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi i'd love to move my trip to late nov but im afraid school sched wont allow me. what if i move my trip up to november 2, do you think i could catch some snow? hehe. id love to go to sukira radio show too because im an elf.

    also do you thnk i could do a DIY trip on my own coz 50k is quite pricey for me since the trip would be a family tour. or would it just amount to 50k more or less with the DIY thingy and im just stressing myself?.. i could read hangul but i dont understand them hehe.

    thanks for the reply btw =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not sure if it's snowing by nov 2 in seoul... but ski season starts in nov so there will probably be snow in the ski resorts... =)

    DIY will surely cost you less if you stay in a guesthouse instead of a hotel... but i'm not sure if you'll be able to travel to ski resorts on your own... it's too far from seoul... i would suggest DIY if you'll only be touring seoul...

    are you going with your family? not everybody in korea speaks english so it might be a little difficult to go around in a group if you don't speak korean...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annyeong Haseyo Seoul! ^^

Korea - White Christmas~